- Visit the beautiful town of Haenertsburg (the Gold Rush Town) and stroll around in the main street and visit the old churches. Have a coffee or a beer at the local restaurant. Visit the Friday’s market, The Penne father complex where you can enjoy a cup of coffee, look at books, antiques, and the museum. If you are visiting in May then the Kiwi feast is a must. At 6 Church Street you can enjoy the pottery and blueberry pie and the De Jonges.Mashiane makes wood furniture and if you can support the locals then so much the better. The old cemetery, Conner Memorial, John Buchan Memorial and the Long Tom Monument are also worth a visit.
- Visit the cheese-making farm Wegraakbosch where organic cheeses are made. Tel no 082 853 8754/071 687 5218
- Trout-fishing at the Haenertsburg Trout Association on the Lakeside dam just outside Haenertsburg on the Magoebaskloof road can be fun. Phone 015 276 4765/084 955 6779 for more detail
- Visit the Ebenezer dam and enjoy a picnic or a boat trip. Please arrange with Richard on 0829565430 if you are interested.
- A drive through Magoebaskloof with various viewpoints will take your breath away. Debengeni waterfalls on your way to Tzaneen are a must. Cheerio gardens are another must-see on your journey.
- Agatha waterfalls, the Rooikat trail on the Agatha road. Wind through pine plantations and then follow the course of the Bobs River. Take a dip in one of the cascades, rapids and pools along the way. There are picnic facilities at Die Akker picnic site.
- Enjoy the splendour of days gone by at the Magoebaskloof Hotel. The put is especially worth visiting. Visit the oldest and tallest gum tree in the area whilst you are there.
- Modjadjikloof and the rain forest, the Modjadji Cycad Reserve and a visit to the Rain Queen are not to be missed. The cycads are just unbelievable.
- At King’s Walden you will find the most beautiful mountain views and a very romantic garden
- The Coach House is worth visiting for a short break or a long lunch. Tasting their nougat is a must.
- At Sunland Nursery, the biggest Baobab tree-bar in the world can be found and is a worthwhile visit. Have a beer, cold drink or a tod of ‘hardehout’
- For the more adventurous we have canopy tour facilities next to the lodge. You can do kloofing, abseiling, quad biking and tubing. Please phone 083 866 1546 for bookings.
- There are various walking trails in the area and these can be arranged through the retreat’s management.
- Tzaneen is a modern town with all the facilities that a city girl wants. The following shopping centres are recommended:
The Kruger National Park, Phalaborwa gate, is less than 150km away. A day visit might be worthwhile doing. Contact 013 735 3549 for a day pass.
The Tzaneen museum is another visit that is worthwhile.
The Hans Marensky Nature Reserve is a spot close by if you do not feel like driving too far. Whilst there, visit the Tsonga cultural kraal museum depicting the way of life of the old Tsonga people. For more detail please phone Tzaneen Tourism on 015 293 3600.
You may also try the Klaserie Game Reserve
Mangela Animal Touch Farm and tea garden might be a nice way to spend the afternoon
Sanford Heights nursery and Tea Garden could be an alternative.
The Tzaneen dam and nature reserve has picnic facilities and do some fishing whilst you are there
The Wheelbarrow nursery and farm stall close to Tzaneen on the Magoebaskloof road cannot be missed
For the golfers there is a beautiful course close by – The Tzaneen Country Club – 015 305 3102 or 083 585 5565.
If you have a SUV or truck then the Wolkberg Wilderness area is the place to go. Visit the Iron Crown mountain, the highest peak of the area.
The O’Conner Memorial at the end of the Wood Bush forest drive is worth a stop. The enormous blue gum trees were planted by the gentleman himself.
4 by 4 routes are available but need to be arranged with management before the time - for us to arrange the routes with different farmers in the area.
Visit the following festivals:
- Lifestyle centre
- Tzaneen Mall
- Oasis Mall
Maintain bike trails can be found at Stanford Lake Lodge and at Cheerio Trout Lodge.
The following church services on a Sunday are available at Tzaneen:
- Berry Festival (February)
- Ebenezer mile (March)
- Kiwi Festival (May)
- Silvermist health and wellness fair (July)
- Iron Crown challenge (July)
- Spring festival (September)
- Magoebaskloof Mountain Bike festival (November)
The following church services are available at Heanertsburg:
- AGS church at 9h00 – 015 307 5112
- Anglican at 9h00 – 015 307 3534
- Methodist at 9h00 – 083 778 4635
- Hervormde at 9h00 – 015 307 4508
- Christian at 9h00 - 015 276 1111
- United Church at 9h00 – 015 2761823